If you’re in the market for a new piece of jewelry or looking for an engagement ring, it is important to research which stone best fits your lifestyle and your values. Natural, mined diamonds, lab-grown diamonds, and lab-grown moissanite are among the most popular precious stones currently used in engagement rings, but the similarities and differences between them often get confused. We’ve put together an overview of what you need to know about each stone to help you make informed decisions on jewelry that you’ll want to pass onto future generations.
How Do Diamonds Form?
(1.31 carat diamond asymmetrical oval cluster engagement ring, The Emily).
Why Choose Diamonds?
How are Lab-Grown Diamonds Made?
(1.06 carat ethical princess cut diamond engagement ring, The Ginny)
Difference Between Lab-Grown Diamonds and Diamonds
Why Choose Lab-Grown Diamonds?
(1.10 carat moissanite constellation engagement ring, The Sarah)
How is Lab-Grown Moissanite Made?
Lab-Grown Moissanite Characteristics
Why Choose Lab-Grown Moissanite?
(1.50 carat moissanite and diamond swirl engagement ring, The Paige).
- Natural diamonds are mined from the Earth and have a geological origin.
- Lab-grown diamonds are grown in a laboratory and so have a manmade origin
- Natural diamonds and lab-grown diamonds are chemically, physically and optically identical, so the differences are origin and also cost since lab-grown diamonds are more affordable.
- Lab-grown moissanite is not a diamond but in fact its own unique gemstones with a fire and brilliance comparable to that of a diamond.
- Lab-grown moissanite is grown in a laboratory and so have a manmade origin. They are substantially more affordable than either lab-grown diamonds or natural diamonds.
So why does all of this matter when thinking about clear stone options for engagement rings? Because every woman is different and unique regarding what she wants in her forever ring! Lab-grown diamond engagement rings are a great option for the woman who wants a diamond but values ethics over natural origin, while also saving a bit of money. Natural, mined diamond engagement rings are for the woman who wants a diamond and wants her diamond to be natural and come from the Earth. Lab-grown moissanite engagement rings are a great option for the woman who does not want a diamond and who values ethics over natural origin. It is also a great option for those who are on a tight budget but want to maximize sparkle. If you would like to learn more about the custom design process around creating a custom engagement ring with one of these stone options, we are here to help. Engagement ring financing available.